Thursday, August 30, 2012

Poison

I don't know how many other individuals in this life are "people persons", but I know that I enjoy talking and interacting with just about anyone. It's fun, right? Well, to me it is at least. The thing about this life tho, is "there must needs be an opposition in all things." Meaning, that for every good interaction or relationship that you have, you can find a really dumpy one too. So then what do we do when people in our life hurt us or wrong us?

I saw a quote once that I liked: "Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die"

Whenever I hear this quote I think of a scene from one of my favorite movies called "The Princess Bride." Hopefully many of you are familiar with it, but in one scene, 2 men are dueling in a battle of the minds. There are two cups, and they both are aware that one is poisoned. They are trying to deceive and convince the other that they are safe to drink out of their own cup. At the end, the the villain drinks out of his cup, thinking he knows he is safe, and ends up dead. (Inconceivable!)

The same idea can be applied to our lives. We are the only ones who are in charge of our own destiny. We choose what we do and how we react to certain situations. We may be the ones who think we are safe, because the world tells us it is ok to hold onto our grudge or our anger. But in the end, we are the ones who end up being hurt, not them.

Our Heavenly Father has asked us to forgive each other. We are to love one another, without conditions or expectations. As we do this, we become Christlike. Our Father wants us to be like His Son, and I know that forgiving others and letting go of our anger is how we can grow closer to both.

No comments:

Post a Comment